William Sutherland, MD
Dr. William Sutherland is a partner and has been a provider at Atlantic Orthopaedics since 1990. Dr. Sutherland was voted Top Orthopedic Surgeon by New Hampshire Magazine in 2022 and has been practicing for over 30 years, he continues to offer patients a wide array of services, including spine surgery, hip and knee replacements, arthritis treatment, fracture care, and more.
Dr. Sutherland implements the most advanced treatments and technologies, including robotic-assisted surgery, in order to address your individualized patient needs. Dr. Sutherland’s approach to orthopedic care emphasizes the multifaceted nature of your condition. His goal is to provide patients with education, understanding, and compassion to help support their road to recovery.
Dr. Sutherland Treats
- Herniated Discs
- Degenerative Changes of the Lumbar Spine
- Spinal Stenosis
- Hip and Knee Arthritis & Injuries
Dr. Sutherland Provides
- Independent Medical Examinations
- Back & Spine Surgery
- Lumbar Spine Decompression for Stenosis
- Lumbar Spine Fusion for Degenerative Issues
- Hip Replacements
- Knee Replacements
- Knee Arthroscopy
- Fracture Care & Surgery
Work with Dr. Sutherland
Back surgery; treatment of herniated discs, scoliosis, shooting leg pain; general orthopedic surgery, pediatric orthopedics; knee surgery and knee replacement; hip surgery and hip replacement; sports medicine; arthroscopic surgery; treatment of arthritis, trauma, and sports injuries including broken bones, torn tendons and ligaments, and overuse injuries.
- BS Suffolk University, Boston MA
- MD University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester MA
- General Surgery Internship – Beth Israel Hospital Harvard University, Boston MA
- General Surgery Residency – Stanford University Medical Center, Stanford CA
- Orthopedic Surgery Residency – Brown University, Providence RI
- Voted Top Orthopedic Surgeon: 2022
- Vitals Patients’ Choice Award (2014 – 2018)
- Vitals Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2014, 2015, 2017, 2018)
- Vitals On Time Doctor Award (2014, 2016 – 2018)
“When I moved to Maine, I was suffering from a knee problem and related Workers Comp issues. My new neighbor was a doctor who highly recommended Dr. Sutherland. He was an immediate hit with me! I wanted a doctor who was not only extremely competent, but someone I could talk to, who would answer my questions, and take whatever time was necessary to discuss my questions and concerns.
I also had problems with my other knee that were not work-related, so the billing and insurance issues were quite complex and to me, an important aspect of my care and well-being. The office staff handled all of this with great tact, patience and skill. I always think that the office staff is a true testimony to a doctor’s skill – you can judge a doctor by the people who work there.
I am also more than my two knees, and Dr. Sutherland has such a whole-person approach. He has that human touch, a great sense of humor, and really understands people. I am now considering surgery and Dr. Sutherland is helping me make the best decisions with full consideration given to my other health issues. I feel very well taken care of, like I’ve been put on a little cushion and carried around like a jewel.
Everyone at SMAO is absolutely top notch! It’s a pleasure to go there. It’s a happy office.”
-J.T of Kittery Point, ME